Our congregation was organized on December 27th, 1886 as Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of Alexandria. The church had 7 voting members.
On June 2nd, 1889 the congregation dedicated its first church building, which was 20 by 30 feet and located on the corner of 3rd Ave and Lake Street.
The Christian Day School was started in 1890.
The first confirmation took place with nine in class.
On October 19, 1899 a new and larger church building, at a cost of $3,000, was dedicated. The building was 34 feet by 54 feet and 18 feet high. The original church building was used as the day school.
In 1903, Zion congregation joined the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.
In 1912 the church began using the English language for worship services (initially one service per month in the evening). Previously all services were conducted in German.
On June 10th, 1951 Zion dedicated the new church building at a cost of $1,777,610 plus fixtures and furnishings of $7,050.
On May 7th, 1961 a cornerstone-laying ceremony was held for a new education wing. Total cost was $150,000.
In September 1978 a new narthex was built.
Miracle on Lake Street project was started on April 6th, 1998 with ground breaking on May 31, 1998. Cost was $1,400,000 with debt service of $924,000.
On July 11, 2012 a groundbreaking was held for God's Window on Third project.
On November 23rd and 24th, 2011 a joint celebration of Thanksgiving, the 125th Anniversary of the church founding and dedication of God's Window on Third Project at a cost of $1,648,500.
Those Who Have Served
Rev. August Hertwig 1882-1889
Rev. Albert Bartz 1890-1942
Rev. Alfred C. Seltz 1942-1956
Rev. Klemens K. Hill 1957-1979
Rev. Larry Allen Giff 1973-1977
Rev. Stephen P. Bruening 1977-1999
Rev. Robert E. Brueske 1980-1987
Rev. Thomas R. Javor 1987-1990
Rev. Kristian J. Erickson 1991-1997
Rev. William F. Moeller 1999-2014
Rev. Terry Finnern 2000-2012
Rev. David W. Hinz 2006-2017
Rev. Geoffrey Gronewold 2013-2018
Rev. Donald Wilke 2018-Present
Rev. Paul Dare 2019-Present